Thursday, May 24, 2007

This is why people hate trial lawyers...

Yet ANOTHER example of the insanely, outrageously litigious society in which we live. Anyone who is a sports fan has certainly read of Josh Hancock's unfortunate death from a car accident last month. The autopsy showed Hancock was well above the BAC limit, was not wearing a seatbelt, and was talking on his cellphone when he crashed into a truck that was stopped on the highway. Today comes this article on espn.com. If you're too lazy to click the link and read the article, basically, Hancock's father is suing the restaurant where Josh had been drinking prior to his accident.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm a pretty blue-blooded (blue-balled?) American, voted for Kerry (and actually preferred his ex-trial lawyer VP Candidate, John Edwards), but some of these lawsuits I read about are ridiculous. First fat people start suing McDonald's (are they gonna sue gyms next for being too expensive or not having adequate parking?), then Kramer sues Java World because his spilled coffee was too hot (it's supposed to be hot!), now this. Of course, I'm sure Mr. Hancock isn't the first family member of a deceased to sue a restaurant/bar for "overserving", but at what point does the responsibility become the drunk's? At what point should he say "I'm too drunk, I shouldn't drink anymore" or "Man, now I'm REALLY fucked up...I DEFINITELY shouldn't drive anywhere" or finally, "Maybe I should put on my seatbelt and get off the damn phone." I don't wanna demean the poor kid, but enough is enough already. I'm really starting to feel sorry for all my poor bastard friends in medicine for all the whining they do about MedMal.

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Simple Voice said...

I can see sueing the restaurant but the tow truck company and the driver of the car that was on the road were also named in the lawsuit. That I don't understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home