Thursday, June 01, 2006

June is FINALLY here...

Although you wouldn't know it if you were across the pond here in London. It's been in the mid-50s and windy as hell all week, including today. Miserable. So much for Memorial Day being the unofficial beginning of summer. I guess it doesn't really apply here since this past Monday wasn't Memorial Day. It was, however, a bank holiday. When I asked my co-workers what the basis for the holiday was, they said there basically was none. In other words, it was just a holiday for holiday's sake. Interesting. It reminded me of those 'student free days' back in elementary school. Did you guys have those? You know, when students got the day off and teachers supposedly came in for meetings, etc. Though I never actually believed teachers came in on those days.

Anyways, as usual, I digress. I woke up this morning in one of the best moods I have woken with in a looong time. No, I had not just had a 'wet dream', but thanks for wondering. The reason for my rare good mood? The date on the calendar - June 1. Normally, I am always a big fan of the first day of a given month, for several reasons:

First, it means I got paid the previous day. This payday is magnified here in London since I don't have to immediately fork the money over for rent.

Secondly, it provides a great excuse to play "1st of Tha Month" on my iPod. Great song, which I'm sure even the non-hip hoppers recognize. As Chris Rock so aptly put it -"Ni**as is singing welfare carols!!!" (my favorite line - "I'm gonna run and go get my stamps. Watch and make sure no one snatches my check.")

Lastly, it means I get to literally turn the page on my calendar. What's the big deal, you ask? If you're even asking, you clearly haven't seen my Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleader Calendar. My favorite part of each month is flipping the page to the next stunning beauty. I haven't done that yet today - I'm saving it for when I get home. Needless to say, I will be leaving work even earlier than usual today. Save the masturbating jokes, please.

But this month is special. It's my last month here in London. I wanna caveat this (mainly so Bhargavi doesn't try to drown me in Zanzibar next month) by stating that I have NOTHING against London (except for the miserable food and weather). It seems like a very fun city, with lots to do and see, in the same range as NY (though no city in the world can live up to NY in my opinion). It's just that I haven't really had a chance to take advantage of it - which admittedly is mainly my own fault for not having met many people. So as you can imagine, I'm very excited because exactly one month from now, I will be chilling in my new and PERMANENT home of LA.

June also marks my last month as a full-time working man, for the time being. On July 1, I commence a 2 1/2 month vacation. The only things on my to-do list during those 79 glorious days - find an apartment, move in, buy a car, climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, and avoid liver failure. Notice I put those in increasing order of difficulty. After this 79-day vacay - 2 years in business school. At UCLA. Hopefully living near the water in Santa Monica.

June 30 can not arrive quickly enough.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger terence said...

glad to see you're in the home stretch man. nice bone reference too.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger DJ Bozo said...

gotta love that left coast!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Kaj said...

awesome. i'm leaving london on june 30th as well. great city, lots fun. time to move on! good luck with uni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home