Friday, July 07, 2006

New Addition to the Family Tree

Well, as of Thursday July 6, it's official. I'm old.

My sister Nisha delivered a healthy, beautiful baby girl yesterday a little past 10am in Los Angeles. Mia Patel (I love the name) measured in at 19.5 inches and 6 pounds, 7 ounces (even the babies in my family are underweight). She's also surprisingly fair, considering both Nisha and my brother-in-law Rajan are somewhat dark. Needless to say my mom was thrilled with Mia's complexion. (I'll post pics as soon as I upload them).

The whole process was pretty eye-opening. Rajan came out to the waiting room at around 1030 or so. I walked into the delivery room with my parents and of course the first question was "boy or girl?", which the nurses wouldn't answer. So my mom had to sneak a peak to inform us that it was a girl. Then, within 30 minutes or so of the birth, the nurses took Mia away from my sister and the delivery room to take her to the nursery. So basically, after all the hard work of pregnancy and labor, Nisha 'lost' Mia within 30 minutes, and Rajan got to hang out with her in the nursery, watch her get cleaned up, and even go back home later in the evening for a shower and some food. Doesn't seem fair.

It's also pretty damn random how small a world it is. The resident who was helping out with the baby - Anuj's friend Arul, who I've partied with a couple times. Another of the doctors (or maybe it was a nurse) helping out - the roommate of this girl I met while partying in Santa Monica last night. Hung out all day at the hospital, and partied at night with a bunch of residents. Too many damn doctors.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger terence said...

glad to hear everything went well bud. congrats to you and your fam. and i concur...Mia is a sweet name!!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Shashank said...

awesome news - congrats to your sister and rajan. and i agree - mia's got cachet up the ying-yang.

but "yatinmama"? come on now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home